Monday, April 4, 2011

Let There Be Song To Fill The Air

I once read a book where one of the main characters was continuously obsessed with the song being played on the car radio. She made a valid point. Everyone has a pretty high chance of being involved in a car accident. How horrible would it be if you had to listen to a song you despise as you struggle to take your last breaths?

With the amount of time I spend in my car, I’ve sort of taken that to heart. Always conscious of what’s being played, my most favorite albums trigger the best memories.

Kings of Leon takes me back to driving around Philly. Being lost in the ghetto on my way to work, sitting in gridlock traffic on the Schuylkill (playing a game of stick my gum on the concrete barrier), the girls in Conshy, the night we saw KOL perform at the Spectrum, and the night Kim W and I spent 45 minutes at the carwash on the corner of Murder and Crime spree.

Lucero was played non-stop as I fell in love with Ben. Greatest concert of all time was when Lucero performed at the Church in Philly. We left ankle deep in beer cans and broken glass. This band also makes me think of Molly and our trip to Austin, my obsession with the lead singer, and the boys in the house on Par Vista that first introduced me to the band.

Old Crow Medicine Show is the band that inspired the Austin trip, but also reminds me of my first Bonnaroo, driving around Durham, burning up I-95 between NC and PA, and basically everything that is awesome about Raleigh.
Whenever I hear Fleet Foxes I think of All Points West. It’s hard to describe the excitement and electricity that ripples the air when a rain cloud approaches while a band is performing on stage.

The Grateful Dead. Brokedown Palace has a soothing effect on me in the car (which is much needed with these TX idiots). Kim N, crazy Josh, and Jamie and our journey to the Spectrum….after all the chaos, it was still a good night!

So far the bands of 2011 have been American Aquarium, Sleigh Bells, and Mumford and Sons. Memories are still being developed.

Make good music choices as you head home from work today!

No comments:

Post a Comment