Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Po-Po Shut Us Down

Once you get away from Houston, people drive fairly slow and cautious in Texas. My drive to work is mostly interstate, with me passing plenty of motorists driving 5 mph above the posted speed limit. I've been told that cops will pull you for doing just that, a measly 5 mph over. I see at least two speed traps a week, if not more. As a person that is notorious for setting my car to cruise at 9 mph over the posted speed limit (I mean, why make people go to court for anything less, right?), this is very disconcerting to me.

Well, I had my first scare on Monday. Here I am, ditty boppin along, doing 70 in a 65 when I see him hiding. Of course, he pulls onto the interstate right after I pass by and I think, "F*@$, I guess I AM going to get a ticket for doing 5 over, perfect." Luckily, this is the conversation that followed:

Officer: Good morning, ma'am, I noticed that you didn't have a front license plate when you passed by.

(I'm thinking, omg, srsly? Oh happy day!)

Me: Yes, sir, I just got these plates and had to order the front mount for my car, but I have the front plate right here! (As I wave the plate and then hand him my fancy temporary paper Texas license and registration).

Officer: Ok, well I'm going to have to run these, if you don't mind. It'll just be a minute.

A minute later.....

Officer: Where are you headed today?

Me: UTMB.

Officer: Well, I'm going to issue you a warning for not being in compliance with the front plate. I noticed your half marathon sticker, which one did you run?

So then we go on to talk about running for a few minutes and he sends me on my merry way.

However, this got me to thinking. In the 13 years that I have been driving, I have been pulled over 6 times, with 4 of those times being in the past year and a half. Luckily, Reese is cute, or the officer is in a good mood, and I've been issued a warning in 3 of those occasions. The other times haven't gone so well:

- Ticket for doing 72 in a 65. Really, douchebag?
- Ticket for doing 70 in a 35. Yeah, that one stung a bit.
- Ticket for doing 80 in a 65. He was nice enough to drop it to 74 in a 65 on the spot.

After hiring some lawyers and taking a defensive driving course, my insurance has never found out about these tickets. For this, I am thankful. But, let's get back to the 5 mph over situation.....Y'all, I'm doomed.

3 comments:

  1. 70 in a 35!?!?! Damn girl! You are doomed! Ha ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was worned I maybe pulled over too for driving more than the speed limit and I was...I got a speeding ticket for driving 7 mph over and I have been driving the speed limit ever since...I guess Charleston, WV is not the only place...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha. Ditty boppin? You're just going to be forced to become one of those slow, cautious drivers now. . .with a front plate. And, yeah, 70 in a 35??? I'm surprised the cop didn't strip you of your license right there on the spot. You must have been lookin' mighty fine that day =)

    ReplyDelete